Ah…if it were only that easy, everyone would be doing it!
I was thinking back this morning to a meeting I had with a Senior Vice President in a (not-to-be-named) publishing company.
This company’s very well known CEO told a group of his organizational leaders that he knew the answer to all their product innovation problems: Hire young people.
Here are some things I know about this company:
- Perceived as the tortoise (slow, steady, and safe)
- Risk adverse (just to say it again, clearly)
- Hierarchically organized in both management structure and communication (everything has the “proper” channel)
- No flexible work schedules (be in the office, 9-5)
- Their website doesn’t support Firefox 2.0 (2 not 3)
- This SVP talked about texting and the iPhone as if they bordered on something mystical
- Business attire strongly encouraged
In the CEO’s defense, he acknowledged that young people don’t want to work there.
What I don’t think they realize is that anyone that values and strives for product innovation probably doesn’t want to work there either.